It is not an easy task to migrate from one email client to other, similarly when try to migrate Outlook emails to Thunderbird, because the file format of every email client is not same. So due to incompatibility in file format leads to data loss while migrating. Losing past saved mailbox data can be devastating for the professionals relying for their day-to-day operation. Microsoft Outlook is the widely used email client used by most of the users, but some people relies on Mozilla Thunderbird. It is because Mozilla Thunderbird is more cost-effective than Microsoft Outlook.
Methods to Migrate Outlook Emails | Contacts| Calendar to Thunderbird
If you want to switch to Thunderbird from Microsoft Outlook, there is are some workaround that needs to be done for transferring Outlook information into Thunderbird.
Microsoft Outlook requires a proprietary import and export system, whereas Thunderbird needs Outlook to set as default email program for performing these operations.
We can export PST file to Thunderbird by two methods:
- Using Manual Method
- Using a Third Party Tool
Manual Method to Import Outlook PST File into Thunderbird
1. Click on “Start”. Type “Default Programs” in the search box and double click to open it.
2. Now, click on “Set your default programs”.
3. Select “Outlook”.
4. Click on “Set this program as default” option.
5. Open Mozilla Thunderbird application.
6. Click on “Tool” located on the top of the screen.
7. Click on “Import”.
8. Select on “Mail” >> and then click on “Next”.
9. Select “Outlook”. You’ll see a pop-up window showing the progress of Importing.
10. Click “Next” and then “Finish”.
11. Now all the Outlook emails will be imported in Thunderbird.
12. Go back to “Default Programs”, Click on “Thunderbird” and then “Set this program as default.”
Note: The Thunderbird imports the PST file only till Mozilla Thunderbird version 31.8. The later version doesn’t import/export Outlook data files.
Exporting Outlook Data File into Thunderbird using Outlook to MBOX Converter
With the help of Outlook to MBOX Converter Tool, we can easily transfer Outlook emails to Thunderbird. It is an easy and automated approach to migrate Outlook emails, contacts, and calendars to Thunderbird mailbox.
- After downloading the application, click on Start button and type the “Outlook to MBOX Converter” in the search box and hit the “Enter” key.
- Click on “Open”. It will initiate the PST to MBOX conversion process.
- Select on “Browse” to select the PST file from the file path.
- Now, determine the destination path by clicking on “Browse”.
- If you want to keep the folder order same as that of the previous Email Client, then click “Yes” else click “No”.
- Click on “Export” to start the conversion process.
- Click “OK” after completion of process.
- Now, navigate to the folder location of the converted PST file into MBOX format.
Thunderbird no longer supports Microsoft Outlook emails to import in it’s interface. The earlier version of Thunderbird i.e. till version 38, was compatible with migration process. So the simplest approach is by using an Outlook to Thunderbird Migration tool. It is simple & time saving solution for converting Outlook PST into MBOX format. The instructions are available in every steps to assist less technical users. With this guide, it will be easy and straightforward for anybody to migrate Outlook emails to Thunderbird with little or no technical know-how.
©2015 TechAtLast Int'l Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.