AOKP ROM is currently the most active and much known custom ROMs which is based generally on Ice Cream Sandwich for majority of phones. But of recent, the Motorola Droid 2 got an update with a new custom ROM and in this short article here, we shall go through the firmware upgrade tutorial for the Motorola Droid 2.
Pre Upgrade Instructions
You must follow the process of upgrading your device firmware as instructed below:–
- It is of utmost important for you to have the ClockWorkMod Recovery tool installed on your phone.
- Kindly make sure that you are holding in your hand, the Motorola Droid 2 and not the other variants of phones by the company.
- You should know that all of your data stored on this phone will be lost immediately you finish this upgrade process. You have the right to make use of these Android Applications during the process –
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – application, Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Songs, Videos and Files – Copy to Internal/External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Keep note down manually through “Applications>Settings>Wireless and Network>Mobile Networks>Access Point Names”.
- At least on your phone, the minimum battery power shouldn’t be lesser than 60% in order to avoid battery calibration while upgrading the device.
- You should enable USB debugging on your mobile phone. It can be enabled easily by following this step on your phone: Settings>Applications>Development>USB debugging.
Upgrade Instructions for Motorola Droid 2 flashing with AOKP ROM
You must make sure that you followed the following instructions –
- First of all, you’ll need to flash your CM9 ROM on your Motorola Droid 2 and you can get the instructions here.
- The next thing to do is to download the AOKP ROM for Droid 2.
- Also, you need to download other stuff such as Google Apps Package for the Android Market and Gmail.
- Then connect your Motorola Droid 2 mobile phone with your Personal Computer (PC) with the help of a USB cable.
- Now, transfer all the downloaded files to the root folder of your SDcard on your phone.
- Reboot your Droid 2 phone by turning it off to boot it in the ClockworkMod recovery. Press the Volume down button and then the Power button for around 10 seconds to get your smartphone in recovery mode.
- First, perform the Nandroid backup of your existing ROM. Select Backup and Restore and then tap Backup. After that, scroll back to the recovery menu. In the clockworkmod recovery area, use the Volume buttons to move up and down and the power button to choose an option in the environment.
- Now select the install zip from SD card, and then select choose zip from SDcard. Then navigate through your phone to select the file where it is located (where the zip file is located). The ROM will immediately start flashing itself once the file is picked.
- Once your Droid 2 ROM is flashed, and then return back by selecting Go Back in order to go back to the main recovery menu.
- Again, select Install zip from SDcard, but select the Google Apps Package. This step is optional if you want your phone to be updated.
- After the installation is done, select the go back icon and select the option “reboot system now” so that you can reboot the phone.
- You should be informed that this process will take some minutes before he phone reboot in normal mode. But if the phone does not respond in 2-3 minutes, remove the phone batter and return it back.
- Holla! You should now be able to see the AOKP ROM running on your Motorola Droid 2 smartphone.
This is the complete installation of AOKP ROM build 28 on your Droid 2 smartphone.