If you are an Outlook user, you might be well aware of the fact that managing multiple PST files in a single account can be very troublesome at times. The problem becomes even worse, when the PST files belong to different versions of Outlook. For instance, in case you are using Outlook 2010 and you have an ANSI PST file, you will not be able to access it in your present Outlook version. The only means by which this can be made possible is by merging it with your current PST file and accessing it.
Commercial utilities such as PST Merge facilitate the users to do the same. The software merges multiple PST files in a single UNICODE type PST file. It supports merging of both ANSI and UNICODE PST files into a single file. Its user-friendly interface makes it easy for even a naive user to run the software smoothly. Outlook installation is necessary to merge PST files.
In order to give our users an idea of the complete functioning of the tool, we did a complete analysis of the PST merge tool. Here are the observations made by us.
Highlighting Features of the PST Merge Tool
- Merges both ANSI and UNICODE PST files in a single UNICODE PST.
- Offers 3 options for merging-Join, Merge and Merge contacts.
- Gives the provision to exclude deleted items from being merged.
- Allows the users to remove duplicate items from getting merged.
- Provision to add folder containing multiple PST files.
Working of PST Merge
- Download and run the software.
- Click on Add Files option to add the PST files individually. In case you need to add a complete folder of PST files, click on Add Folder
- The software offers three options to merge the PST files and the user can select any option according to the requirement.
Join: The first option, Join is used to join the input PST files in a single PST file while joining the files under a common PST file known as parent PST file. The joined PST files are visible as different folders of the parent PST file.
Merge: the Merge option merges the PST files into a single PST and merges all the similar folders of the PST files. For example, the inbox folder of all the PST files will be merged in a single inbox folder of the resultant file.
Merge Contacts:As the name suggests, this option merges all the contacts of the input PST files into a single PST file. The PST file will only consist of a single contacts folder.
- The user can also select the Advance Options.
Exclude Deleted Items option when enabled will exclude all the deleted mails and those mails will not be merged into the output PST.This option is only available for Join and Merge.
Exclude Duplicate Items option when selected will not merge the duplicate items like emails, contacts, calendars, etc. if any,in the output PST file.This option is only available in Merge and Merge contacts option.
- Browse the location to save the resultant PST file.
- Click on Merge PST Files to start the merging process.
Setup & Installation of the PST Merge Tool
PST Merge is available in two distinct versions:
- Demo Version
The demo version is made available in order to give the users, a trial of the working of the tool. It is available for free and can be downloaded from the official website. However,there are some limitations associated with this version.
- License Version
Once the user gets satisfied with the working of the demo version, the user can purchase the license version for $69.There are no limitations associated with the working of the license version.
- Extends support to both ANSI and UNICODE PST.
- Allows removal of duplicate items from merging.
- Gives provision to remove deleted items from merging.
- Does not give a preview of PST file data before merging.
- No provision of merging selective data of PST file.
PST merge is an effectual utility that has been designed keeping in mind the naïve users as well. The single panel interface makes it easy to run and the user does not need to toggle between different windows. Based on the overall functioning of the tool, we would like to rate the software as9.7/10.Although it does not give a preview of the PST file data, it merge outlook PST files into one whilst maintaining the folder structure intact.